By signing a Memorandum of Understanding this week, the executive directors of four European associations – namely the Confederation of European Forest Owners (CEPF), the European State Forest Association (EUSTAFOR), the European Confederation of Woodworking Industries (CEI-Bois), and the Confederation of European Paper Industries (CEPI) – formally committed themselves to strengthen their communication and cooperation in the future.
The four organisations, representing the core of the European forest sector, have a long history of regular communication and frequent cooperation. Forestry plays a prominent role in the work of each association. The associations represent major stakeholders of the European forest resource-holding side (the forest owners) and the processing side (the forest-based industry) –embodying the key players of the entire European forest and timber value chain. All four organisations are also shareholders of the Forest-based Sector Technology Platform (FTP).
The purpose of this memorandum is to formally agree:
– to regularly meet, communicate and exchange information about forest and forest-based sectors relevant topics and policy developments at EU and pan-European level and the activities of each organisation.
– to observe risks and opportunities of non-forest and forest policies for the forest and forest-based sector at EU and pan-European level.
– to explore options of cooperation and common activities, in particular to strengthen and promote forest and forest-based sector positions within EU and pan-European policy processes and other related initiatives.
The common principles of the forest sector core group are:
– to promote the principles of Sustainable Forest Management, and facilitate its implementation at all levels.
– to promote the use of wood and resource efficiency.
– to promote the relevance of the forest and forest-based sector in rural development and a global green economy.
For further details about this cooperation and pictures or interview requests, please contact the Secretariats of each of the organisations below.
CEPF – Confederation of European Forest Owners
European Forestry House
66, Rue du Luxembourg
Tel. +32 2 2392300
CEI-Bois – European Confederation of Woodworking Industries
Rue Montoyer 24
T: +32 2 556 25 85
CEPI – Confederation of European Paper Industries AISBL
250 Avenue Louise, box 80
Tel: +32 2 627 4911
Eustafor – European State Forest Association AISBL
European Forestry House
Rue du Luxembourg 66
Phone: +32 2 239 23 00
FTP – Forest-based Sector Technology Platform: www.forestplatform.org