The training workshop was organised to help pulp and paper mills comply with the new EU legislation that are set in the Best Available Techniques reference documents, the so-called BREFs, for manufacturing of pulp, paper and board. The new document specifies emission limits to the environment and set other environmental permit requirements for a pulp and paper mill. Within four years, by September 2018, all mills within the EU must comply with the new requirements and measures must be in place.
This training workshop provided participants with a better understanding of the new legal requirements and possible implications for the industry.
Setting up the permits in practice:
- General for the pulp and paper industry (Hannu Nurmesniemi)
- Kraft pulping process (Oscar Arantes, Luis Machado)
- Sulphite pulping process (Wolfgang Mizera)
- Mechanical and chemimechanical pulping (Jarkko Hukkanen)
- Processing paper for recycling (Debbie Stringer)
- Papermaking and related processes (Tom Berben)
Juergen Mielke holds a degree in electrical engineering from the Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany.
He started his professional career at Siemens in 1997 as project manager for automotive projects. After several positions in innovation and technology management of Siemens’ industrial solutions and services business he took over the position of Director Product Management Fiber Industry in 2012.
Mr Mielke is born in 1968, married and has two children.